Top 5 - Basic maintenance tips for beginner caravan owners

As a caravan owner, it is important to take proper care of your caravan to ensure its longevity and to avoid any potential problems that might occur while on the road & far from home.

Here are the top 5 basic maintenance and care tips for caravan owners:

1. Regular cleaning: Regularly cleaning the interior and exterior of your caravan can help prevent damage and keep it looking new. The process of cleaning will help you see the small problem before they get worse. Specifically getting up high & cleaning the roof, walls, windows, and floors, as you will be able to identify any leaks that might otherwise be missed.

1. Regular inspection: Crawl under the chassis & Regularly inspect your caravan for any signs of damage or wear and tear, such as leaks, cracks, rust, or peeling paint. Pay special attention to the wheels, axles, and brakes, as well as the electrical and plumbing systems. Make sure the connections around the water tanks are not leaking. Make sure wires or pipes are not worn or damaged.

1. Keep a maintenance log: Keeping a log of all the maintenance and repairs you have done on your caravan can be helpful in keeping track of when certain things were last done and what needs to be done in the future. It can also be useful if you decide to sell your caravan later on, as it will give potential buyers an idea of the care that has been taken to maintain the vehicle.

1. Protect from the elements: The sun in Australia is extremely harsh, Caravans that are left exposed to the elements may result in seals that prematurely fail, so it is important to protect them from rain, wind, and sun. Use a good-quality caravan cover or tarp to protect the exterior, If possible storage in a shed or carport is ideal.

1. Regular professional servicing: Regular servicing of your caravan’s mechanical and electrical systems is essential to ensure they are working properly. This includes regular checks of the brakes, suspension, and battery, as well as the air conditioning and heating systems. Servicing might also be a requirement of your warranty so be sure you keep it up to date or risk losing your warranty cover.

Awesome article! As a new caravan owner, this was super helpful to read and learn about how to take care of my new van :slight_smile: Thanks heaps!

its like a car, keep it clean, serviced and well stored when not driving, in this case towing. look after it and it’ll look after you

@WillSyk65 congrats on your first post and welcome to the community forum! Great to have you. Congrats on becoming a new caravan owner, and thanks for the feedback.

1 Like

@jaunray44 couldn’t have said it any better!

My advice is to get out there more often & use the bloody thing, I found that the more you use it the better it gets taken care of…

@Johnson wise pearls of wisdom mate, it’d be a very expensive ornament to leave outside collecting dust. Best advice for caravanners, use the van haha.

my advice is to always give your pride & joy a thorough clean after every use! Get everything looking sparkling clean and make sure there are no food scraps, or dampness anywhere because if you leave it for a few months not properly cleaned when you come back you could have some serious mold or issues that cannot be easily removed/repaired.

@SusieQ a van without mold is gold to be sold lol

@Johnson not sure about that hahaha, but I suppose if you dont use it then whats the point in having it

1 Like

@jaunray44 valid point, make the most of it. might as well